Archie Gray
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- GreennWhite
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 3355
- Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:02 am
Re: Archie Gray
The best of luck to Archie at his new club. The lad has now gone, lets get over it and move on.
- weasel
- Superstar

- Posts: 19720
- Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
- Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet
Re: Archie Gray- Pushed out by club to Tottenham
Indeed. I'm sure Eddie, and the rest of the Grays, would rather see Leeds promoted next season without Archie playing for us rather than us keep Archie and get a big FFP penalty that scuppers our chances. I'm sure if Archie stayed and we failed to get promoted then at this point next summer they would be telling him it was better to leave. Similar to when KP stayed for a season rather than move to Villa I am sure that if we'd not got promoted the following season he would have been off. Only difference this time around is that we have to comply with FFP and existing debts/obligations.BradWhite wrote: ↑Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:39 pm I'm not buying into this Gray family brand stuff.
Archie isn't going unwillingly or for little money and as far as I'm concerned by inserting his own release clause means he has intent to secure his own future at some point anyway and to further his career right now is his own choice (it doesn't always work out, I know), but he is going to earn far more at Spurs than at Leeds and I'm sure they'll help him become a better player, they see that in him, at the end of the day it has nothing to do with the Gray family as I am sure they would have liked him to develop at Leeds - but it's a business!
If it helps our P&S and allows us to build a better future then so be it - no player is an island, they all have a price on their head.
I'm fairly sure the 49ers are not one bit interested in anything other than a profiteering enterprise that will no doubt flip this club to Red Bull.
This is the modern game and I'd love Gray to stay but he's been in the shop window for a while and our lack of promotion was the death knell for our top players, maybe this deal secures the future of some of our talent and secures Joe Rodon's permanent
move to E.R.
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
- Irish Ian
- Superstar

- Posts: 17206
- Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
- Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.
Re: Archie Gray- Joins Spuds
Pity about him going but we have done decent business.
Let's hope it alleviates the pressure and we can hold onto one of Jimmy or wee Willy.
Let's hope it alleviates the pressure and we can hold onto one of Jimmy or wee Willy.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
- BradWhite
- First Team

- Posts: 2207
- Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:42 pm
- Location: General at Ivory Tower
- whiteswan
- Superstar

- Posts: 20765
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am
-
DDB220
- Superstar

- Posts: 7088
- Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 am
Re: Archie Gray- Joins Spuds
I think it is naive to suggest Archie was the instigator of the minimum amount release clause. The club will have wanted to protect the asset and ensure that when a big club comes knocking and it was probably expected, there would be no protracted negotiations as the buyout fee is the release mechanism.
Archie will have agreed to this but I am not convinced he was looking for a move this season. Circumstances dictated that we probably had no choice.
Regardless of the emotional impact it was very good planning by the club.
Archie will have agreed to this but I am not convinced he was looking for a move this season. Circumstances dictated that we probably had no choice.
Regardless of the emotional impact it was very good planning by the club.
- BradWhite
- First Team

- Posts: 2207
- Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:42 pm
- Location: General at Ivory Tower
Re: Archie Gray- Joins Spuds
Can we now stop playing the loyalty card?
No one forced him out of the club.
Gray: "Me and my family love Ange!"
New Tottenham signing Archie Gray says he and his family "love" Spurs boss Ange Postecoglou.
The teenage midfielder, who revealed he is a Celtic fan, has joined the north London side from Leeds and admits Postecoglou was a major factor in moving to the Premier League club.
He said in his first Tottenham interview: "When Spurs came and I had the opportunity to play in the Champions League eventually and Europa League this year I couldn't really say no.
“I know so many players that are here, not so much the first team but the young lads and another thing is that it's a massive project under Ange and it's something that I want to be a part of.
"I'm not going to lie to you, I'm a massive Celtic fan so I love him and my whole family loves him.
“He's also a massive factor because playing under a really good manager is really important for me as well. I've still got loads to learn because I'm only 18 so it's really important."
I expect his wages will be eye watering too.
No one forced him out of the club.
Gray: "Me and my family love Ange!"
New Tottenham signing Archie Gray says he and his family "love" Spurs boss Ange Postecoglou.
The teenage midfielder, who revealed he is a Celtic fan, has joined the north London side from Leeds and admits Postecoglou was a major factor in moving to the Premier League club.
He said in his first Tottenham interview: "When Spurs came and I had the opportunity to play in the Champions League eventually and Europa League this year I couldn't really say no.
“I know so many players that are here, not so much the first team but the young lads and another thing is that it's a massive project under Ange and it's something that I want to be a part of.
"I'm not going to lie to you, I'm a massive Celtic fan so I love him and my whole family loves him.
“He's also a massive factor because playing under a really good manager is really important for me as well. I've still got loads to learn because I'm only 18 so it's really important."
I expect his wages will be eye watering too.
- Cjay
- Superstar

- Posts: 41785
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm
Re: Archie Gray- Joins Spuds
Haaland also insisted it had always been his dream to play for Man City and he'd always been a fan after he signed.BradWhite wrote: ↑Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:17 pm Can we now stop playing the loyalty card?
No one forced him out of the club.
Gray: "Me and my family love Ange!"
New Tottenham signing Archie Gray says he and his family "love" Spurs boss Ange Postecoglou.
The teenage midfielder, who revealed he is a Celtic fan, has joined the north London side from Leeds and admits Postecoglou was a major factor in moving to the Premier League club.
He said in his first Tottenham interview: "When Spurs came and I had the opportunity to play in the Champions League eventually and Europa League this year I couldn't really say no.
“I know so many players that are here, not so much the first team but the young lads and another thing is that it's a massive project under Ange and it's something that I want to be a part of.
"I'm not going to lie to you, I'm a massive Celtic fan so I love him and my whole family loves him.
“He's also a massive factor because playing under a really good manager is really important for me as well. I've still got loads to learn because I'm only 18 so it's really important."
I expect his wages will be eye watering too.
Absolutely mountains of evidence this wasn't true.
Archie had to say something, could hardly claim he was a lifelong Spuds fan.
Anyway he's gone, good luck to him and hope Harry stays.
Signed
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21210
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: Archie Gray- Joins Spuds
Gotta be honest I do like that Angela bloke.
Seemed a decent pundit. Loves a few tinnies & a bbq.
He’s Australian but that’s probably his only fault
Seemed a decent pundit. Loves a few tinnies & a bbq.
He’s Australian but that’s probably his only fault
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- whiteswan
- Superstar

- Posts: 20765
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am
Re: Archie Gray- Joins Spuds
Hope Ange ain't sacked by November then
- BradWhite
- First Team

- Posts: 2207
- Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:42 pm
- Location: General at Ivory Tower
Re: Archie Gray- Joins Spuds
Cjay wrote: ↑Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:20 pm Haaland also insisted it had always been his dream to play for Man City and he'd always been a fan after he signed.
Absolutely mountains of evidence this wasn't true.
Archie had to say something, could hardly claim he was a lifelong Spuds fan.
Anyway he's gone, good luck to him and hope Harry stays.
Haarland was a Leeds fan before he was a Man City fan, he was also born in Leeds and once said his dream is to win the Premier League with Leeds.
I'm just knocking the loyalty brigade here because loyalty is rarer than rocking horse dung, if Archie was loyal than he would have stayed and got us promoted, he's going to make millions anyway and he was on his way to Brentford so I'm saying that his motivation was to play on a Premier league stage and get those millions quicker, his transfer has been brightened up with a move to a bigger club with Spurs,
Fans always blame the club and never the players, he wasn't hounded around to other clubs or forced out but they ain't going to turn down that kind of money that strengthens our PNS and it looks like we didn't buckle with some tenacious negotiations.
The key question is would Archie have stayed at Leeds if we had been promoted? Quite possibly but when we lost the play off final I think deep down everyone knew that was his last game for us as clubs were watching him closely, personally it is more money that I expected, had Orta been here he'd have gone for far less.
No sour grapes here, I wish him all the best, he's got his head screwed on right and set up for life at 18 years of age.
- whiteswan
- Superstar

- Posts: 20765
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am
Re: Archie Gray- Joins Spuds
Lets be honest. No one knows the ins and outs of this transfer, who did this, who said that. Who instigated it. Who didnt. Plenty of stories around though.
- Cjay
- Superstar

- Posts: 41785
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm
Re: Archie Gray- Joins Spuds
“At this point, there were further conversations with Leeds, which included chairman Paraag Marathe. Gray’s younger brother, Harry, is in the Leeds academy — another link between the Gray family and Elland Road — and it was certainly not a case of a player trying to force a move to a club playing at a higher level.
“Though Gray left no doubt he was happy to remain at Leeds and that option was a possibility, there was frustration among those close to Gray about how the situation was handled and the pressure it created. The deal made business sense to Leeds under the circumstances. “
We don't Swannie but we have this from Ornstein
Tiz done now anyway just have to hope the squad comes out stronger
Last edited by Cjay on Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
- Cjay
- Superstar

- Posts: 41785
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm
Re: Archie Gray- Joins Spuds
He's quite funny tbf
Signed
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155450
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Archie Gray- Joins Spuds
Archie has become a millionaire overnight as he'll receive 10% of the transfer fee, plus he is likely to be earning fifthteen times the 5k salary a week salary he was on at Leeds.BradWhite wrote: ↑Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:31 pm Haarland was a Leeds fan before he was a Man City fan, he was also born in Leeds and once said his dream is to win the Premier League with Leeds.He's another loyalty traitor.
I'm just knocking the loyalty brigade here because loyalty is rarer than rocking horse dung, if Archie was loyal than he would have stayed and got us promoted, he's going to make millions anyway and he was on his way to Brentford so I'm saying that his motivation was to play on a Premier league stage and get those millions quicker, his transfer has been brightened up with a move to a bigger club with Spurs,
Fans always blame the club and never the players, he wasn't hounded around to other clubs or forced out but they ain't going to turn down that kind of money that strengthens our PNS and it looks like we didn't buckle with some tenacious negotiations.
The key question is would Archie have stayed at Leeds if we had been promoted? Quite possibly but when we lost the play off final I think deep down everyone knew that was his last game for us as clubs were watching him closely, personally it is more money that I expected, had Orta been here he'd have gone for far less.
No sour grapes here, I wish him all the best, he's got his head screwed on right and set up for life at 18 years of age.
How could a young lad turn that deal down?
-
SG90
- Superstar

- Posts: 23197
- Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm
Re: Archie Gray- Joins Spuds
Ridiculous money for a young lad to be on
- Barlow Boy
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 11798
- Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm
Re: Archie Gray
Personally, I think Archie is the real deal and I can’t see them paying that sort of brass to loan him out either (I know some clubs do, but can’t see it here).
Just browsed one of their forums and they see him getting 15 to 20 games, including the likes of Carabao and Europa.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
-
SG90
- Superstar

- Posts: 23197
- Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm
Re: Archie Gray
So not PL games then, just cup games v Port Vale and Colchester with the reserves. Hence why it'd be better going on loan.Barlow Boy wrote: ↑Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:23 pm Personally, I think Archie is the real deal and I can’t see them paying that sort of brass to loan him out either (I know some clubs do, but can’t see it here).
Just browsed one of their forums and they see him getting 15 to 20 games, including the likes of Carabao and Europa.
- lufc1304
- Superstar

- Posts: 14823
- Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
- Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
- Location: Lisburn, N.I
Re: Archie Gray- Joins Spuds
Good luck to the lad, hope his career sky rockets. Shame it wasn't with us, but that's the cold reality of modern football. I like Big Ange too, I think he'll be good for the boy. We move on....
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
- Barlow Boy
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 11798
- Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm
Re: Archie Gray
As always, time will tell but, personally, I’d be surprised if he’s not there or thereabouts around the first team, which ain’t bad for an 18 year old kid.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Gray, Archie