Blinded by the light

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 10635
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain

Re: Blinded by the light

Post by Martyn »

becchio bear wrote:
Did he actually say "I promise to buy ER next Thursday" or did he just say I will buy ER next Thursday? As I said above I assume he said he would buy ER upon becoming the owner of LUFC. :bear:
In what way do you regard the two statements as different?

"I will x" is essentially the same as "I promise I will x" - you are making a clear statement of what you will do, and others are entitled to rely on that statement. You don't have to use the word "promise" to make it a clear statement of intent.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
User avatar
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19296
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Blinded by the light

Post by becchio bear »

Guildford White wrote:
In what way do you regard the two statements as different?

"I will x" is essentially the same as "I promise I will x" - you are making a clear statement of what you will do, and others are entitled to rely on that statement. You don't have to use the word "promise" to make it a clear statement of intent.
I disagree. :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 10635
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain

Re: Blinded by the light

Post by Martyn »

Do explain the difference

Whether he said "I promise to buy ER next Thursday" or "I will buy ER next Thursday", the question "Has he bought it?" Is equally valid
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
User avatar
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19296
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Blinded by the light

Post by becchio bear »

Guildford White wrote:Do explain the difference

Whether he said "I promise to buy ER next Thursday" or "I will buy ER next Thursday", the question "Has he bought it?" Is equally valid
The words "I promise" cuts more sway with me. You don't like him, we get that, I don't think he actually cares and neither do I. Right now the alternative is??? probably go into admin with GFH or they sell to Farnan and his cronies who seem to be having to copper up?? :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 10635
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain

Re: Blinded by the light

Post by Martyn »

becchio bear wrote:
The words "I promise" cuts more sway with me. You don't like him, we get that, I don't think he actually cares and neither do I. Right now the alternative is??? probably go into admin with GFH or they sell to Farnan and his cronies who seem to be having to copper up?? :bear:
I would certainly prefer the Farnan bid (which, let it not be forgot, is the one that a true Leeds legend, Lucas Radebe, is backing) but that isn't the question.

The question is - Cellino said he would be going to the bank to buy Elland Road today. Has he done it, or was it just another lie intended to impress the Leeds fans who less than 2 weeks ago were close to rioting against him at Elland Road?
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
User avatar
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19296
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Blinded by the light

Post by becchio bear »

Guildford White wrote:
I would certainly prefer the Farnan bid (which, let it not be forgot, is the one that a true Leeds legend, Lucas Radebe, is backing) but that isn't the question.

The question is - Cellino said he would be going to the bank to buy Elland Road today. Has he done it, or was it just another lie intended to impress the Leeds fans who less than 2 weeks ago were close to rioting against him at Elland Road?
Errr steady on there, the Leeds fans, some Leeds fans would be more realistic. Pack it in GW with your agenda against Cellino please. :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 10635
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain

Re: Blinded by the light

Post by Martyn »

becchio bear wrote:
Errr steady on there, the Leeds fans, some Leeds fans would be more realistic. Pack it in GW with your agenda against Cellino please. :bear:
Don't be silly. Yes, I did mean the Leeds fans who were close to rioting

That's what I said, that's what I meant.

And I do not have an agenda, not that he would care one way or the other, I just don't want to see the club I have followed for over 50 years fall into the hands of a convicted fraudster. You may not care, I do.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
User avatar
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19296
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Blinded by the light

Post by becchio bear »

Guildford White wrote:
Don't be silly. Yes, I did mean the Leeds fans who were close to rioting

That's what I said, that's what I meant.

And I do not have an agenda, not that he would care one way or the other, I just don't want to see the club I have followed for over 50 years fall into the hands of a convicted fraudster. You may not care, I do.
I care about LUFC yes. I don't want us back in adminstration. GFH promised the earth yet 3 months into their ownership we find they were begging Bates for £1m to fund player wages!! I can see that happening again with the Farnan bunch tbh :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78962
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Blinded by the light

Post by The Subhuman »

Guildford White wrote:
No, ideally I wouldn't want a fraudster owning either the ground or the club, but it seems inevitable he will.

I would, however, like him to stop making promises he doesn't keep. We had more than enough of being lied to in the Bates era,

and the Ridsdale era..and most definitely the GFH era
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: Blinded by the light

Post by Twiggster »

becchio bear wrote:
Errr steady on there, the Leeds fans, some Leeds fans would be more realistic. Pack it in GW with your agenda against Cellino please. :bear:
MAJORITY of Leeds fans voted NO to him, in three independent polls at the time. YEP, TSS and The SquareBall. Came out 75% against him and 15% in favour. 10% didn't care, as long as we were rich. :roll:
The week after, the same polls showed a swing in favour of Cellino, after Flowers dropped out.
Since the Farnan plea to the FL and the obvious fannying about by Cellino (who clearly doesn't understand FL rules), the majority of Leeds fan have voted NO again this week.

I'm not as vociferous as GW about this, but Cellino looks out of his depth ATM. Worried
User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 10635
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain

Re: Blinded by the light

Post by Martyn »

faaip wrote:

and the Ridsdale era..and most definitely the GFH era
Can't argue about GFH, I wouldn't personally tar Ridsdale with the same brush. I don't think he was a liar, I think he was a misguided fool who precipitated the crisis we have been suffering for 12 years or so now.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: Blinded by the light

Post by Twiggster »

Guildford White wrote:
Can't argue about GFH, I wouldn't personally tar Ridsdale with the same brush. I don't think he was a liar, I think he was a misguided fool who precipitated the crisis we have been suffering for 12 years or so now.
I used those words about GFH-C when they took over. And added "giggling schoolboys playing at football ownership"
User avatar
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19296
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Blinded by the light

Post by becchio bear »

Twiggster wrote:
MAJORITY of Leeds fans voted NO to him, in three independent polls at the time. YEP, TSS and The SquareBall. Came out 75% against him and 15% in favour. 10% didn't care, as long as we were rich. :roll:
The week after, the same polls showed a swing in favour of Cellino, after Flowers dropped out.
Since the Farnan plea to the FL and the obvious fannying about by Cellino (who clearly doesn't understand FL rules), the majority of Leeds fan have voted NO again this week.

I'm not as vociferous as GW about this, but Cellino looks out of his depth ATM. Worried
Well I haven't voted in any poll and I don't know anyone who has!! 75% of how many fans?? Does make a difference :roll: :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 10635
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain

Re: Blinded by the light

Post by Martyn »

Twiggster wrote:
I used those words about GFH-C when they took over. And added "giggling schoolboys playing at football ownership"
Indeed you did. You were right in all respects, so many of us were just so desperate to get the bates cancer out of the club we clutched at any straw.

However bad GFH have been, they are an improvement on the previous regime.

We haven't been wasting money on private jets to Monaco, we haven't given Ross McCormack or Sam Byram to Norwich, there have been lots of improvements at TA, they haven't insulted the fans and we haven't been spending a fortune defending libel cases.

Nonetheless, we deserve better.

Is a convicted fraudster who is likely to be facing embezzlement charges some time this year better? Reach your own decision.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
User avatar
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11810
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 pm
Location: Na Saoirsí (Baile átha Cliath)

Re: Blinded by the light

Post by Gino 1959 »

It sounds as if the choice is between the Italian and administration? I'm tending towards the GW stance in respect of the former and - whilst the latter does not fill me with comfort - perhaps we need to go backwards to rebuild this club in the way it should be? Unfortunately, I do not believe that the majority would have the patience for this.

As faaip has said on more than one occasion - and I trust that I have got this right - sharing a ground and being a smaller club (until we are able to actually be a bigger club) might not be a bad thing.
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: Blinded by the light

Post by Twiggster »

However:

@BeestonDave 2h
Another productive day at GFH hq, ive managed to fit 10 2p coins in my scrotum and salah has achieved a new record of 6 pencils up his arse.


:roflmao:
User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 10635
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain

Re: Blinded by the light

Post by Martyn »

Gino 1959 wrote:It sounds as if the choice is between the Italian and administration? I'm tending towards the GW stance in respect of the former and - whilst the latter does not fill me with comfort - perhaps we need to go backwards to rebuild this club in the way it should be? Unfortunately, I do not believe that the majority would have the patience for this.

As faaip has said on more than one occasion - and I trust that I have got this right - sharing a ground and being a smaller club (until we are able to actually be a bigger club) might not be a bad thing.
That is possibly true mate.

Assuming there are no mystery bidders like whoever owns the San Francisco 49ers, I think my preferences are:

1. The Farnan consortium with Lucas as president

2. Administration, probably with ground sharing

3. An Italian criminal
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
User avatar
Twiggster
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 23104
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: Blinded by the light

Post by Twiggster »

Not sure if GW already posted this - I have a terrible internet connection atm - but THIS
:tup:
User avatar
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19296
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Blinded by the light

Post by becchio bear »

Guildford White wrote:
Indeed you did. You were right in all respects, so many of us were just so desperate to get the bates cancer out of the club we clutched at any straw.

However bad GFH have been, they are an improvement on the previous regime.

We haven't been wasting money on private jets to Monaco, we haven't given Ross McCormack or Sam Byram to Norwich, there have been lots of improvements at TA, they haven't insulted the fans and we haven't been spending a fortune defending libel cases.

Nonetheless, we deserve better.

Is a convicted fraudster who is likely to be facing embezzlement charges some time this year better? Reach your own decision.

Do wonder what the £2.2m bill for services rendered is for though, by GFH? :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
Drs.Dad
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3048
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:20 pm

Re: Blinded by the light

Post by Drs.Dad »

Guildford White wrote:Do explain the difference

Whether he said "I promise to buy ER next Thursday" or "I will buy ER next Thursday", the question "Has he bought it?" Is equally valid


I'm sure that the only problem in this particular area is that Cellino has no idea how slowly the wheels of British bureaucracy turn in any given situation. He expected to turn up with the requested information, and that the Football League would vote it through on the spot.... little did he know how the very mention of Leeds United in the hallowed halls of the FL, and time slows to a virtual standstill. I fully expect the FL to stretch this out as long as possible. Perhaps once he gets the permission of the FL to complete ownership, then, and only then will he commence taking steps towards the purchase of Elland Road.
:tup:
Image
Post Reply