Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Post match reaction

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Millwall v Leeds United
Millwall
Millwall
2–1
Championship
05/10/2019
The Den
Leeds United
Leeds United
All-time record vs Millwall
45
Played
20
Won
5
Drawn
20
Lost
+2
GD
44%
Win %
Away record
23
Played
5
Won
3
Drawn
15
Lost
-14
GD
22%
Win %
DateGroundScoreCompetition
30/03/2019 Elland Road 3–2 W Championship ↗
15/09/2018 The Den 1–1 D Championship ↗
20/01/2018 Elland Road 3–4 L Championship ↗
16/09/2017 The Den 1–0 L Championship ↗
14/02/2015 Elland Road 1–0 W Championship ↗
All-time top scorers vs Millwall
#PlayerGoals
1 Andy Ritchie 3
2 Pablo Hernandez 3
3 Luciano Becchio 3
4 Jermaine Beckford 3
5 Aubrey Powell 2
Starting XI
Goa Casilla
Def Ayling ©
Def Berardi
Def White
Def Alioski
Mid Phillips
Mid Costa
Def Dallas
Mid Klich
Mid Harrison
For Bamford
Substitutes
SUB Douglas
SUB Nketiah
SUB Roberts
Unused Substitutes
-- Miazek
-- Gotts
-- Davis
-- Clarke
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23140
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Post match reaction

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: ↑Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:42 pm Harrison at least delivers some good crosses, by their nature they;re never 100% guaranteed to come to anything..Thought he delivered two poor crosses today and there was the assist..Bamford has had zero end product for a while now and it doesn't look like changing

the 6-8 M on Bamford and 165 M for Costa, comfortably our two most expensive signings in year looks like money wasted. We're better bringing through the youth ranks and getting the best out of journeymen footballers. We should stick to what we know best.

Edmondson must be getting close to that first team squad
And comes down to Orta once again, add Barry Douglas too. That's what happens when you sign players because they "know the league" rather than ones who fit the style. We need a proper scouting department, not "Championship players".

Cellino got a lot of hate for his recruitment, yet players like Antenucci, Wood, Jansson would walk into the starting XI.
Nord VPN
Stream games in safety! Get NordVPN with up to 75% off + 3 months free
Get NordVPN →
Norm
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 6930
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 2:51 am
Location: SW Missouri USA

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Post match reaction

Post by Norm »

faaip wrote:

Maybe we should start Alio as the striker ..
Seems like we could do worse!
User avatar
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6571
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:02 am

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Post match reaction

Post by BGwhite »

Haven't seen the game nor did I want to and I'm very pleased I didn't after reading everyone's comments. This season will be no different from last season, how can it be ? We have basically the same players bar 3, White who has been superb all season and 2 others - 1 who has just started playing from the start only because Pablo is injured and the other who keeps the bench warm most of the time. We play the same way every game with the same players....der.. i think I could put out a team to nullify Leeds . The players will not get better so why would we expect anything different, MB doesn't expect it , he said so after Charlton. Is Bamford in the team to score goals or to hold the ball up while the midfielders catch up, I've almost forgot as its been so long since he scored. The own goal against WBA only masked over some huge cracks in the team the main one being that there is a huge lack of goals in our squad and this will cost us promotion and possibly a play off place. PB has to give way to Eddie now to see if our fortune will change otherwise MB can stick to his tried and tested but the result will be just the same.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Norm
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 6930
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 2:51 am
Location: SW Missouri USA

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Post match reaction

Post by Norm »

I feel for guys like Leon and Rich who go to every game they can, only to be rewarded with refereeing errors.
I'd love to be over there going to every game, yet conversely I'm sometimes glad I'm 3 and a half thousand miles away.
User avatar
leedsalex
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2300
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:37 pm
Location: Kavala - Greece

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Post match reaction

Post by leedsalex »

Regardless of the poor ref's decision Berardi is an awful player and i wouldn't like to see him wearing a Leeds shirt again.
Never rated him and never will. He shold play any other sport (maybe Rugby ) but not football. Thats my opinion of course
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79073
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Post match reaction

Post by The Subhuman »

I liked Cellino, I think Orta is a very good scouter of potential, I'm glad we have him. As a football club we've never done well making big money signings, no idea why, maybe big money signings never see us as a place they'll end up but merely a stepping stone.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Norm
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 6930
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 2:51 am
Location: SW Missouri USA

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Post match reaction

Post by Norm »

One of the tightest Championships I remember, only 4 points between the top 11
User avatar
Irish Ian
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 17184
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Post match reaction

Post by Irish Ian »

who was it wrote last week Harrison would be a great defender?

I agree, some of the challenges he made were very good, his passing through the midfield in the second half when he moved to the right was good, but you know what I am going to say next.

So I dont need to say it really. We all know where he needs to improve..

But overall we were again victims of dodgy defending and even dodgier refereeing. WE looked awful beforethe pen and for the rest of the half were in disarray.

Barra should win his appeal but it doesn't change the fact it cost us a point. But one shot on target is relegation form.

Sorry guys Bielsaball isnt working in this highly physical league.

It is only October and we have lost three games.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23140
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Post match reaction

Post by SG90 »

Norm wrote: ↑Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:58 pm One of the tightest Championships I remember, only 4 points between the top 11
It just shows how poor it is. And yet we still won't go up.
User avatar
Irish Ian
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 17184
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Post match reaction

Post by Irish Ian »

I am dreading reading how the Millwall caretaker manager masterminded our downfall.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
User avatar
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6571
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:02 am

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Post match reaction

Post by BGwhite »

And never will...poor players, corrupt refs and efl will see that we don't.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22394
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Post match reaction

Post by White Riot »

I must admit that we put a shift in after a couple of awful ref decisions.

But I'm finding it bollocks watching this every week.

Its huffing and puffing and 90 minutes of foreplay, with no penetration, and then the milkman/plumber strolls in puts down his milk/spanners and shows us how its done.

I don't see us making the play-offs, never mind autos.

We needed a Dwight Gayle/Neil Maupay to convert the possesion into points, but Radz, Kinnear and Orta didn't wanna take the chance.

MB will walk when its obvious we've no chance of making the play-offs, we'll then see KP and White off to the prem and we'll be stuck with the guys on long contracts who have failed year in and year out: Casilla, Cooper, Bamford, Berardi, Ayling, Douglas, Dallas (even though he's done well so far this year) and the jewel in the crown Costa.

I sincerely hope I'm miles wide of the mark and will be happy to admit I've been talking rubbish if they get us promoted.

As I've said many times before - over to you MB and company, I'm all eyes and ears :zip:
User avatar
Irish Ian
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 17184
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Post match reaction

Post by Irish Ian »

White Riot wrote: ↑Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:20 pm I must admit that we put a shift in after a couple of awful ref decisions.

But I'm finding it bollocks watching this every week.

Its huffing and puffing and 90 minutes of foreplay, with no penetration, and then the milkman/plumber strolls in puts down his milk/spanners and shows us how its done.

I don't see us making the play-offs, never mind autos.

We needed a Dwight Gayle/Neil Maupay to convert the possesion into points, but Radz, Kinnear and Orta didn't wanna take the chance.

MB will walk when its obvious we've no chance of making the play-offs, we'll then see KP and White off to the prem and we'll be stuck with the guys on long contracts who have failed year in and year out: Casilla, Cooper, Bamford, Berardi, Ayling, Douglas, Dallas (even though he's done well so far this year) and the jewel in the crown Costa.

I sincerely hope I'm miles wide of the mark and will be happy to admit I've been talking rubbish if they get us promoted.

As I've said many times before - over to you MB and company, I'm all eyes and ears :zip:
Interestingly Klichs nickname before he came to Leeds was the Penetrator.

Maybe he is suffering from performance anxiety.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22394
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Post match reaction

Post by White Riot »

Irish Ian wrote: ↑Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:43 pm Interestingly Klichs nickname before he came to Leeds was the Penetrator.

Maybe he is suffering from performance anxiety.
Well he was when he missed that penalty against Derby :x

I can put up with us not getting a result in a match like todya's where the ref robbed us.

But we've had opportunities to take 3 points from every other match this season and didn't take them.

Not good enough. All these poor teams manage to take their one chance and stay resolute and focused in defence, we don't.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23140
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Post match reaction

Post by SG90 »

This club needs to shake off its loser mentality and get some winners in if we want to go up. I thought Bielsa was a winner, but I guess not. We reward players for failure. Last year we bottle promotion and instead of a clear out, it's lavish new contracts on much bigger wages for not doing anything to deserve it. At the end of the day we still failed and that isn't something to celebrate. If we think it is, then we will never get promoted.
User avatar
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 15044
Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
Twitter: @motforum
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Post match reaction

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:49 pm Different reasons each time though, which is why the negative generalisations don't really apply imo.

Same two reasons every time;

  • Don't create enough quality chances
  • Don't convert enough of the chances we get
We are move defensive this season Forshaw and Shack sitting deeper than Klich did and Klich less attacking than Saiz, Roberts and co. It's working in the sense that we are not giving the oposition many chances but it means we don't break forward through the middle in quite the same way as we did last season. With Roofe gone too we are relying on Bamford being clinical, he isn't.
User avatar
Ellandback1
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11898
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:01 pm
Twitter: @EllandBack1
Location: The truth is out there

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Post match reaction

Post by Ellandback1 »

We need the services of a specialist set piece coach

Bielsa MUST have a plan B - a different formation - We have been found out.

The team needs rotating.

The opposition knows how we are going to set up shop
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20755
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Post match reaction

Post by whiteswan »

Sorry for this post. All the 'slate the negative posters' will be out in force. I said pre season when Bielsa signed on for this season that nothing had changed.....and it hasn't. We simply are not good enough. I've been reading all the posts from today.....most of you are spot on!
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20755
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Post match reaction

Post by whiteswan »

BGwhite wrote: ↑Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:54 pm Haven't seen the game nor did I want to and I'm very pleased I didn't after reading everyone's comments. This season will be no different from last season, how can it be ? We have basically the same players bar 3, White who has been superb all season and 2 others - 1 who has just started playing from the start only because Pablo is injured and the other who keeps the bench warm most of the time. We play the same way every game with the same players....der.. i think I could put out a team to nullify Leeds . The players will not get better so why would we expect anything different, MB doesn't expect it , he said so after Charlton. Is Bamford in the team to score goals or to hold the ball up while the midfielders catch up, I've almost forgot as its been so long since he scored. The own goal against WBA only masked over some huge cracks in the team the main one being that there is a huge lack of goals in our squad and this will cost us promotion and possibly a play off place. PB has to give way to Eddie now to see if our fortune will change otherwise MB can stick to his tried and tested but the result will be just the same.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Absolutely spot on BG
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20755
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Post match reaction

Post by whiteswan »

Cjay wrote: ↑Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:58 pm Down to our lowest matchday position ever under MB, 5th.

Most defeats out of the top 7.

Its not good enough, no excuses for it imo.
Indeed Cjay
Nord VPN
Stream games in safety! Get NordVPN with up to 75% off + 3 months free
Get NordVPN →
Post Reply