Name the Veteran!

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79120
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Name the Veteran!

Post by The Subhuman »

wilsdenwhite wrote: ↑Thu May 28, 2026 4:55 pm Well done whiteinfrance. 3 points. Former Hull, Barnsley, Huddersfield and Celtic marksman Andy Payton. Now 58. Recently diagnosed with dementia sadly.


Andy Payton.jpg
Wouldn't have got there, I did think of searching for footballers with scars on their chins ... what's the trophy?
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79120
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Name the Veteran!

Post by The Subhuman »

wilsdenwhite wrote: ↑Thu May 28, 2026 4:55 pm Well done whiteinfrance. 3 points. Former Hull, Barnsley, Huddersfield and Celtic marksman Andy Payton. Now 58. Recently diagnosed with dementia sadly.


Andy Payton.jpg
Well done Wif, Celtic fan?
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
wilsdenwhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1478
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:35 am

Re: Name the Veteran!

Post by wilsdenwhite »

No idea about the trophy, could only read Hull City at the bottom.

AndyPayton.jpg
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79120
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Name the Veteran!

Post by The Subhuman »

wilsdenwhite wrote: ↑Thu May 28, 2026 5:02 pm No idea about the trophy, could only read Hull City at the bottom.


AndyPayton.jpg
Can see Player of the Season, so I was on the right track
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155396
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Name the Veteran!

Post by 1964white »

whiteinfrance wrote: ↑Thu May 28, 2026 4:29 pm ANDY PAYTON!
How did you get that one Scarborough lad?
User avatar
wilsdenwhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1478
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:35 am

Re: Name the Veteran!

Post by wilsdenwhite »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Thu May 28, 2026 5:04 pm Can see Player of the Season, so I was on the right track
Would hate to be on trial if you're ever on the jury!

Player of the season makes sense. He was quite prolific in front of goal.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155396
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Name the Veteran!

Post by 1964white »

wilsdenwhite wrote: ↑Thu May 28, 2026 4:55 pm Well done whiteinfrance. 3 points. Former Hull, Barnsley, Huddersfield and Celtic marksman Andy Payton. Now 58. Recently diagnosed with dementia sadly.


Andy Payton.jpg
The scar on his chin is prominent as you posted up on the initial photo.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155396
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Name the Veteran!

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Thu May 28, 2026 4:59 pm Wouldn't have got there, I did think of searching for footballers with scars on their chins ... what's the trophy?
I searched mate, no mention of Andy Payton.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79120
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Name the Veteran!

Post by The Subhuman »

wilsdenwhite wrote: ↑Thu May 28, 2026 5:08 pm Would hate to be on trial if you're ever on the jury!

Player of the season makes sense. He was quite prolific in front of goal.
Actually you'd want me on the jury if you're innocent. Think Henry Fonda
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
wilsdenwhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1478
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:35 am

Re: Name the Veteran!

Post by wilsdenwhite »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Thu May 28, 2026 5:17 pm Actually you'd want me on the jury if you're innocent. Think Henry Fonda
Brilliant film.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79120
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Name the Veteran!

Post by The Subhuman »

wilsdenwhite wrote: ↑Thu May 28, 2026 5:18 pm Brilliant film.
Top 10 for me .. so claustrophobic and brilliantly acted...
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
wilsdenwhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1478
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:35 am

Re: Name the Veteran!

Post by wilsdenwhite »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Thu May 28, 2026 5:23 pm Top 10 for me .. so claustrophobic and brilliantly acted...
That and the fact it was a masterclass in going against the odds but it did make me wonder just how many times it wouldn't have happened like that back in the day when all the old prejudice was widely prevalent. Not quite top 10 for me because I'm more of a noir and western nut. I thought Ed Begley played his part really well in 12 angry men.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9751
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: Name the Veteran!

Post by CUSSIE01 »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Thu May 28, 2026 5:17 pm Actually you'd want me on the jury if you're innocent. Think Henry Fonda
I watched that again recently, the great thing about getting older is you can watch movies & read books again without remembering what happened. 😵‍💫
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79120
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Name the Veteran!

Post by The Subhuman »

wilsdenwhite wrote: ↑Thu May 28, 2026 5:40 pm That and the fact it was a masterclass in going against the odds but it did make me wonder just how many times it wouldn't have happened like that back in the day when all the old prejudice was widely prevalent. Not quite top 10 for me because I'm more of a noir and western nut. I thought Ed Begley played his part really well in 12 angry men.
They were all brilliant and it's been copied so many times

I loved the indecisive baseball nut voting guilty so he could go watch the game (Jack Warden) Also EG Marshall's implacibilty who uses reason and logic to try to counter Fonda's craft and intuitiveness. I probably identify more with Marshall than Fonda truth be told
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
wilsdenwhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1478
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:35 am

Re: Name the Veteran!

Post by wilsdenwhite »

CUSSIE01 wrote: ↑Thu May 28, 2026 6:08 pm I watched that again recently, the great thing about getting older is you can watch movies & read books again without remembering what happened. 😵‍💫
I find that too and it's great enjoying the films every couple of years or so not remembering what happened. Of course I have my all time favourites in noir and westerns like The Asphalt Jungle, Out of the Past, The Killing, Laura, The Lineup, Double Indemnity, Dollars Trilogy, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Shootist, High Plains Drifter, Hang 'Em High and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance where I can recall most scenes because I've watched them so many times. Love all Kubrick stuff too.

But I've got another 150 films or so that I think are right up there and I don't have a clue how they go until I watch them again. I think it's one of the few good things about having a crap memory.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79120
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Name the Veteran!

Post by The Subhuman »

CUSSIE01 wrote: ↑Thu May 28, 2026 6:08 pm I watched that again recently, the great thing about getting older is you can watch movies & read books again without remembering what happened. 😵‍💫
Good post, I read it three times and forgot it after each reading ... wait what did it say?
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
wilsdenwhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1478
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:35 am

Re: Name the Veteran!

Post by wilsdenwhite »

Number 5:

5.jpg
5.jpg (91.02 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155396
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Name the Veteran!

Post by 1964white »

Played for Sheff Wednesday
User avatar
whiteinfrance
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3554
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:38 am
Location: Now Scarborough UK

Re: Name the Veteran!

Post by whiteinfrance »

It's Martin Dickinson

Played for Leeds in 1980's
YES!! I'm living in SCARBADOS!! Underneath the palm trees!
User avatar
wilsdenwhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1478
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:35 am

Re: Name the Veteran!

Post by wilsdenwhite »

Correct whiteinfrance. 3 points. Former Leeds and West Brom defender Martin Dickinson. Now 63. Retired at 26 from a whiplash injury and now owns a window cleaning business.


Martin Dickinson.png
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
Post Reply