Liverpool v Leeds United - MATCH THREAD - Cooper out, Struijk starts
-
WestgateRun
- Subs Bench

- Posts: 518
- Joined: Sun May 24, 2020 7:53 pm
- Location: Wakefield
Re: Liverpool v Leeds Utd Match Thread
It should be the lead-off game on Match of the Day.
Let's see what Alan Shearer and the other "experts" make of us.
Let's see what Alan Shearer and the other "experts" make of us.
-
Denman
- Reserve Player

- Posts: 389
- Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:55 am
Re: Liverpool v Leeds Utd Match Thread
I’m nervous!
- Cjay
- Superstar

- Posts: 41750
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm
Re: Liverpool v Leeds Utd Match Thread
Whilst i am hopeful i do fear a drubbing is on the cards.
The system was enough to dominate Arsenal 1st half on their own turf to a degree only our opponents on Saturday managed all season.
Unfortunately the bit the system cant impact, the bit in the box where it is down to the individual let us down and eventually the individual quality shone through and we lost.
I can see that happening vs Liverpool.
At the end of the day our biggest strength is the system and the coaching.
We arent loaded with highly talented individuals and imo that will be the difference against Liverpool in the end.
Dallas and Ayling vs Salah and Mane.
Firmino vs Coops
Van Dijk vs Bamford
TAA and Robertson vs Costa and JH.
Man for man its a mismatch and i dont think any amount of coaching can overcome that.
Majority of the league yes, but the top teams no, they have to much ability
Still excited to see how we do and id be delighted with an Arsenal like performance.
The system was enough to dominate Arsenal 1st half on their own turf to a degree only our opponents on Saturday managed all season.
Unfortunately the bit the system cant impact, the bit in the box where it is down to the individual let us down and eventually the individual quality shone through and we lost.
I can see that happening vs Liverpool.
At the end of the day our biggest strength is the system and the coaching.
We arent loaded with highly talented individuals and imo that will be the difference against Liverpool in the end.
Dallas and Ayling vs Salah and Mane.
Firmino vs Coops
Van Dijk vs Bamford
TAA and Robertson vs Costa and JH.
Man for man its a mismatch and i dont think any amount of coaching can overcome that.
Majority of the league yes, but the top teams no, they have to much ability
Still excited to see how we do and id be delighted with an Arsenal like performance.
Signed
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
- mothbanquet
- Manager

- Posts: 3239
- Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:11 pm
Re: Liverpool v Leeds Utd Match Thread
Exactly. If 18 other teams wouldn't usually have a prayer against this Liverpool team we can't realistically expect any different. As long as the lads run them ragged till the final whistle, that's all I ask.
- Smudge3920
- Superstar

- Posts: 5203
- Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:08 pm
- Location: Canada
Re: Liverpool v Leeds Utd Match Thread
Whilst I agree with your analysis Cjay cannot fault it... but we have to believe we can overcome it, thats what "you know who"Cjay wrote: ↑Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:23 pm Whilst i am hopeful i do fear a drubbing is on the cards.
The system was enough to dominate Arsenal 1st half on their own turf to a degree only our opponents on Saturday managed all season.
Unfortunately the bit the system cant impact, the bit in the box where it is down to the individual let us down and eventually the individual quality shone through and we lost.
I can see that happening vs Liverpool.
At the end of the day our biggest strength is the system and the coaching.
We arent loaded with highly talented individuals and imo that will be the difference against Liverpool in the end.
Dallas and Ayling vs Salah and Mane.
Firmino vs Coops
Van Dijk vs Bamford
TAA and Robertson vs Costa and JH.
Man for man its a mismatch and i dont think any amount of coaching can overcome that.
Majority of the league yes, but the top teams no, they have to much ability
Still excited to see how we do and id be delighted with an Arsenal like performance.
Leeds v Sunderland FA cup final 1973... on paper one of the biggest ever "mismatches"...but!
One game does not make a season.
Good post mate, keeping reality on the table...
-
Aussieleeds
- Subs Bench

- Posts: 574
- Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:53 am
Re: Liverpool v Leeds Utd Match Thread
Most clubs outside the top 4 would go to Anfield simply trying to limit the damage and try to nick something from the game. Can’t see us doing that... Bielsaball is Plan A no matter the opponent.
I’d be happy to see us put together a few great passing sequences, be dominant for a few short periods and grab a goal. If we lose 4-1 I could take that.
The only thing that worries me is if we get smashed to the extent that the players lose confidence in the system.
I’d be happy to see us put together a few great passing sequences, be dominant for a few short periods and grab a goal. If we lose 4-1 I could take that.
The only thing that worries me is if we get smashed to the extent that the players lose confidence in the system.
- kindestcut
- Youth Team

- Posts: 162
- Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location: Upstate New York, USA
Re: Liverpool v Leeds Utd Match Thread
It's Leeds v. Liverpool Eve and I'm so excited! I am expecting an ass kicking but I do know the boys will play hard. I've been waiting for this day for 16 years. And although the game might not go our way, the day certainly will. See you all tomorrow!
-
Overman
- Manager

- Posts: 3324
- Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 11:04 pm
Re: Liverpool v Leeds Utd Match Thread
Indeed no amount of coaching can overcome that. The bulk of the squad is still at a Championship level, but we have manager capable of pulling it off.Cjay wrote: ↑Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:23 pm Whilst i am hopeful i do fear a drubbing is on the cards.
The system was enough to dominate Arsenal 1st half on their own turf to a degree only our opponents on Saturday managed all season.
Unfortunately the bit the system cant impact, the bit in the box where it is down to the individual let us down and eventually the individual quality shone through and we lost.
I can see that happening vs Liverpool.
At the end of the day our biggest strength is the system and the coaching.
We arent loaded with highly talented individuals and imo that will be the difference against Liverpool in the end.
Dallas and Ayling vs Salah and Mane.
Firmino vs Coops
Van Dijk vs Bamford
TAA and Robertson vs Costa and JH.
Man for man its a mismatch and i dont think any amount of coaching can overcome that.
Majority of the league yes, but the top teams no, they have to much ability
Still excited to see how we do and id be delighted with an Arsenal like performance.
-
rab_rant
Re: Liverpool v Leeds Utd Match Thread
The wit and wisdom of Bielsa.
That reply alone is worth a goal
if not a point.
That reply alone is worth a goal
if not a point.
Last edited by rab_rant on Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Richard
- Subs Bench

- Posts: 573
- Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:50 am
- Location: Peterborough
Re: Liverpool v Leeds Utd Match Thread
I can’t see anything other than a welcome to the PL drubbing if I’m honest. I don’t believe we have recruited well enough. Hope I’m wrong, Meslier will start, Rodrigo on the bench, a few rumours going around that Cooper is carrying an injury, if true then Ayling will be CB. Don’t think it matters who we have at the back, the keeper is going to be well and truly tested, I’m not looking forward to the game one bit
- mothbanquet
- Manager

- Posts: 3239
- Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:11 pm
Re: Liverpool v Leeds Utd Match Thread
Feels like Christmas morning. The first Premier League game since I was 19. Bring it on.
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155396
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Liverpool v Leeds Utd Match Thread
Our final day of our holiday in Northumbria today, out & about then back here by 4.30pm in anticipation of our first PL game in donkeys yearsmothbanquet wrote: ↑Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:47 am Feels like Christmas morning. The first Premier League game since I was 19. Bring it on.
Can't wait.....I'm like a kid with a new toy
-
Boo Radley
- First Team

- Posts: 1844
- Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:18 pm
Re: Liverpool v Leeds Utd Match Thread
It’s all about the performance today. Realistically we can’t expect too much away against the reigning Premier League champions, yet.
What is really important is that it is the first day of recruiting a whole new generation of Leeds United fans. Today’s game will be seen by massive numbers worldwide. It’s time that new supporters were not just, for the most part, the children of existing, aging, fans.
So I hope we make a footballing statement and set out our stall for the season ahead. Vamos Leeds Carajo!
What is really important is that it is the first day of recruiting a whole new generation of Leeds United fans. Today’s game will be seen by massive numbers worldwide. It’s time that new supporters were not just, for the most part, the children of existing, aging, fans.
So I hope we make a footballing statement and set out our stall for the season ahead. Vamos Leeds Carajo!
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79119
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Liverpool v Leeds Utd Match Thread
Is this our cup final ? ...
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
-
Denman
- Reserve Player

- Posts: 389
- Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:55 am
Re: Liverpool v Leeds Utd Match Thread
I’ve followed Leeds avidly for 50 years and spent absolute fortunes following them round the country. I’ve shouted out in the middle of shopping centres when they scored, stood up in a nice quiet restaurant and cheered when they came back to beat Millwall 3-2 in January. Sung with fans on trains, buses, coaches, screamed at the top of my voice in the lounge when the lads have scored an important goal, with the windows wide open and the neighbours thinking I’m nuts. Cheered at airports if a goal went in while waiting to board. Cried my eyes out as a youngster when Bayern and Sunderland did us when they deserved nowt. Cheered while on a school trip coach when Billy and Keegan squared up to each other in the old a Charity Shield. Sat utterly dejected and despondent with all the Leeds travelling fans when the late Peter Shirtliff killed our hopes of promotion in the ‘87 play off final at St Andrews. Experienced the club’s implosion under Ridsdale, Bates and Cellino. Watched some of the worst dross possible over the last 16 years before Bielsa showed us the light, taken major league stick from all my Spurs, West Ham and Arsenal mates round here in Essex while giving it back large. Been so looking forward to getting back our place at the top table, and jumped round like a 56 year old nutter when promotion was sealed just a few weeks back.
It feels so good today. But I’m as nervous as heck. Looking back at my experiences as a ‘white’ it’s perhaps not difficult to see why. I just hope this is the start of a period of stability and sustained success for the club. Really hope today isn’t a heavy pasting that affects confidence.
There’s only one more thing to say. And that’s this. MOT lads.
It feels so good today. But I’m as nervous as heck. Looking back at my experiences as a ‘white’ it’s perhaps not difficult to see why. I just hope this is the start of a period of stability and sustained success for the club. Really hope today isn’t a heavy pasting that affects confidence.
There’s only one more thing to say. And that’s this. MOT lads.
- Brolins_Ghost
- Youth Team

- Posts: 54
- Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:41 pm
- whiteswan
- Superstar

- Posts: 20763
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am
Re: Liverpool v Leeds Utd Match Thread
Excellent post Denman. I re'lived everything you said as I too experienced all of the above, apart from having the 'p' taken out of me by Ipswich fans for 16 years! Not any moreDenman wrote: ↑Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:51 am I’ve followed Leeds avidly for 50 years and spent absolute fortunes following them round the country. I’ve shouted out in the middle of shopping centres when they scored, stood up in a nice quiet restaurant and cheered when they came back to beat Millwall 3-2 in January. Sung with fans on trains, buses, coaches, screamed at the top of my voice in the lounge when the lads have scored an important goal, with the windows wide open and the neighbours thinking I’m nuts. Cheered at airports if a goal went in while waiting to board. Cried my eyes out as a youngster when Bayern and Sunderland did us when they deserved nowt. Cheered while on a school trip coach when Billy and Keegan squared up to each other in the old a Charity Shield. Sat utterly dejected and despondent with all the Leeds travelling fans when the late Peter Shirtliff killed our hopes of promotion in the ‘87 play off final at St Andrews. Experienced the club’s implosion under Ridsdale, Bates and Cellino. Watched some of the worst dross possible over the last 16 years before Bielsa showed us the light, taken major league stick from all my Spurs, West Ham and Arsenal mates round here in Essex while giving it back large. Been so looking forward to getting back our place at the top table, and jumped round like a 56 year old nutter when promotion was sealed just a few weeks back.
It feels so good today. But I’m as nervous as heck. Looking back at my experiences as a ‘white’ it’s perhaps not difficult to see why. I just hope this is the start of a period of stability and sustained success for the club. Really hope today isn’t a heavy pasting that affects confidence.
There’s only one more thing to say. And that’s this. MOT lads.
- onemoreslogan
- Subs Bench

- Posts: 815
- Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:48 pm
Re: Liverpool v Leeds Utd Match Thread
I'll be happy if they can play like they always have the last two seasons- pedal down with no sign of fear for the moment, the stage, or the opponent. If they can do that I'll accept the result with satisfaction, no matter how lopsided it may be.
- lufc1304
- Superstar

- Posts: 14820
- Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
- Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
- Location: Lisburn, N.I
Re: Liverpool v Leeds Utd Match Thread
This!! We are playing possibly the best club side in world football and we are light years away from that standard, even with Bielsa at the helm. These are games to be enjoyed, whatever the outcome, our focus should be on the teams from about sixth down, not the cream of the league. I just hope fans are realistic about what we can or can't achieve this season.onemoreslogan wrote: ↑Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:35 pm I'll be happy if they can play like they always have the last two seasons- pedal down with no sign of fear for the moment, the stage, or the opponent. If they can do that I'll accept the result with satisfaction, no matter how lopsided it may be.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
- Irish Ian
- Superstar

- Posts: 17184
- Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
- Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.
Re: Liverpool v Leeds Utd Match Thread
Bielsa said in his press conference that we would try and play our usual way this season. At least at the start.
So it looks like a high octane start to the season.
Whoever is in goal for us will need to be on his game as I expect Liverpool to be able to expose our flaws with quick passing, pace and if that doesnt work, the high ball into our box.
More or less a free hit for us but what an opportunity to say that we are back and mean to not only survive but thrive.
So it looks like a high octane start to the season.
Whoever is in goal for us will need to be on his game as I expect Liverpool to be able to expose our flaws with quick passing, pace and if that doesnt work, the high ball into our box.
More or less a free hit for us but what an opportunity to say that we are back and mean to not only survive but thrive.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa