Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Post Reply
Everton v Leeds United
Everton
Everton
3–0
Premier League
12/02/2022
Goodison Park
Leeds United
Leeds United
All-time record vs Everton
124
Played
53
Won
35
Drawn
36
Lost
+14
GD
43%
Win %
Away record
61
Played
14
Won
18
Drawn
29
Lost
-43
GD
23%
Win %
DateGroundScoreCompetition
21/08/2021 Elland Road 2–2 D Premier League ↗
03/02/2021 Elland Road 1–2 L Premier League ↗
28/11/2020 Goodison Park 0–1 W Premier League ↗
25/09/2012 Elland Road 2–1 W Capital One Cup 3rd Round ↗
13/04/2004 Elland Road 1–1 D Premier League ↗
All-time top scorers vs Everton
#PlayerGoals
1 Peter Lorimer 8
2 Billy Bremner 6
3 Gordon Hodgson 5
4 Allan Clarke 5
5 Mick Jones 5
Starting XI
Goa Meslier
Def Koch
Def Llorente
Def Struijk
Def Dallas
Mid Klich
For Moreno
Def Ayling ©
Mid Harrison
Mid James
Substitutes
SUB Hjelde
SUB Forshaw
SUB Roberts
Unused Substitutes
-- Klaesson
-- Bate
-- Gelhardt
-- Summerville
-- Shackleton
-- Kenneh
VinnysTattoo
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1009
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:55 pm

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Sooo deflated when I saw the substitutions. It’s not Roberts fault that he’s a bang average Championship player, it’s the manger’s in his myopic view of him.
I get that we needed a bit more in midfield so Forshaw I could see was needed. What we also needed was a minimum of two goals and the most talented natural striker at the club was once more passed over.
It almost seems to me MB is persisting with a selection he thinks will eventually bear fruit. Thing is, we haven’t got the time now.
Every manger down the years has had a blind spot when it comes to certain players. MB is no different. Problem is it may cost us big time, because if we persist with the same “ solutions” to games, I feel we run a big risk of dropping down the trap door into the Championship.
Nord VPN
Stream games in safety! Get NordVPN with up to 75% off + 3 months free
Get NordVPN →
WhiteRose
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3693
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:24 pm

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by WhiteRose »

VinnysTattoo wrote: ↑Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:07 am Sooo deflated when I saw the substitutions. It’s not Roberts fault that he’s a bang average Championship player, it’s the manger’s in his myopic view of him.
I get that we needed a bit more in midfield so Forshaw I could see was needed. What we also needed was a minimum of two goals and the most talented natural striker at the club was once more passed over.
It almost seems to me MB is persisting with a selection he thinks will eventually bear fruit. Thing is, we haven’t got the time now.
Every manger down the years has had a blind spot when it comes to certain players. MB is no different. Problem is it may cost us big time, because if we persist with the same “ solutions” to games, I feel we run a big risk of dropping down the trap door into the Championship.
I believe if we get Philips back for the march/Early April fixtures we will be ok. these are the games we must get points from, any results rest of Feb will be a bonus for me. Yesterday all game CM was non existent at least with Philips we have a chance of finding players further up the pitch from deep. must get raph back on it aswell god knows what’s up with him.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3891
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:57 am

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

velo wrote: ↑Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:37 pm Quite true, but lets be honest our Midfield is non existent, that's the main problem IMHO
I wouldn't disagree Velo.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3891
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:57 am

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

VinnysTattoo wrote: ↑Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:07 am Sooo deflated when I saw the substitutions. It’s not Roberts fault that he’s a bang average Championship player, it’s the manger’s in his myopic view of him.
I get that we needed a bit more in midfield so Forshaw I could see was needed. What we also needed was a minimum of two goals and the most talented natural striker at the club was once more passed over.
It almost seems to me MB is persisting with a selection he thinks will eventually bear fruit. Thing is, we haven’t got the time now.
Every manger down the years has had a blind spot when it comes to certain players. MB is no different. Problem is it may cost us big time, because if we persist with the same “ solutions” to games, I feel we run a big risk of dropping down the trap door into the Championship.
It might seem a bit harsh to say it, but at the end of the day this is probably MB's last season, and he has put together a very nice retirement pot over the last 4 years at the club. Once he walks away he will probably go back to his ranch in Argentina, and the club will be left picking up the pieces. So I think it's more important to him for reasons of pride to be shown to be proven right about Roberts than it is to think about what the consequences may be for the club if it is relegated. There will come a time for him when his only interest in LUFC will probably be to look out for the PL results on a Saturday afternoon.
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Ellandback1
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11899
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:01 pm
Twitter: @EllandBack1
Location: The truth is out there

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

Image
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3891
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:57 am

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Mountain wrote: ↑Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:14 am But bet on those forums, many posters also defend Guardiola, Klopp and Rodgers, don't they? Bet they refer to how much they've achieved, they've hardly become "bad"? Bet they point to injuries or loss of form to key players like de Bruyne, Van Dijk or Vardy? Bet they note that fans can be fickle, it's hardly as if they know more than Guardiola, Klopp and Rodgers and so on?

And bet those who defend the likes of Guardiola, Klopp and Rodgers don't get slated as belonging to a "cult" for defending them? Bet they're not told they're like scientologists or anti vaxxers, or say they give them the creeps etc. (to be fair, I think that was Chapelallman, not you)?
just block me if you don't like what I write - otherwise push off.
User avatar
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2390
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:14 pm
Location: God’s own county (north)

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Now that the dust has settled a bit, although like all other Leeds United fans, I’m sure, I’m still demoralised by our abject performance yesterday, my exasperation has tempered slightly and I feel I can comment with a little more clarity of thought.

I know this is a hobby horse of quite a few posters on here and certainly one of mine, and I know it’s been done to death already but no-one yet has given a rational explanation as to why Marcelo Bielsa insists on playing Tyler Roberts in just about every match and what Bielsa thinks he brings to this team.

2-0 down at half time and I’m thinking oh well, we have to improve in the 2nd half - we can’t be any worse. Perhaps bring Gelhardt on for Harrison and move James to the left wing, a fairly obvious change surely? Then I see Roberts standing on the touch line waiting to come on and my heart sinks, I just know that the game is gone!

It may be unfair of me to single him out from yesterdays horror show, he wasn’t the only poor performer but he certainly underperforms a lot more consistently than the rest, even Rodrigo showed a couple of flashes of brilliance yesterday.

To be honest I feel sorry for him, I understand he’s a very nice lad, does a lot in the community etc. and I hate having to be so critical of him all the time. But it’s obvious, to me anyway, and has been for a long time, that he’s just not up to this level of football, and what is more, I think it’s unfair of Bielsa to keep persisting with him for both their sakes.
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7503
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Orange Box »

William wrote: ↑Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:39 am Marcello did get it wrong yesterday.

Allowing that whining child Summerville into the dressing room upset the equalibrium in Bielsas brain.

I recall reading that there is a well under the pitch at Elland Road.

Throw him in there, if he drowns its all good. If he floats.

Burn HIM!
Not sure who you are asking to be burned here, but I do recall the Don believed there was a gypsy curse on ER, not sure if he didn’t even try to have an exorcism on the place?
Anybody know the story?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23140
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by SG90 »

VinnysTattoo wrote: ↑Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:07 am Sooo deflated when I saw the substitutions. It’s not Roberts fault that he’s a bang average Championship player, it’s the manger’s in his myopic view of him.
I get that we needed a bit more in midfield so Forshaw I could see was needed. What we also needed was a minimum of two goals and the most talented natural striker at the club was once more passed over.
It almost seems to me MB is persisting with a selection he thinks will eventually bear fruit. Thing is, we haven’t got the time now.
Every manger down the years has had a blind spot when it comes to certain players. MB is no different. Problem is it may cost us big time, because if we persist with the same “ solutions” to games, I feel we run a big risk of dropping down the trap door into the Championship.
Are fans really still surprised that Roberts is going to be brought on? When Hjelde came on, my heart sank and I knew Forshaw and Roberts would be the next two on.

We always hear that Summerville can't get a game because of Raph, but when Raph comes off he still doesn't get a chance. He could have had proper first team football for the rest of the season, but won't even play a minute now.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3891
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:57 am

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:08 am Not sure who you are asking to be burned here, but I do recall the Don believed there was a gypsy curse on ER, not sure if he didn’t even try to have an exorcism on the place?
Anybody know the story?
It may be true - and Don Revie was very superstitious.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23140
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by SG90 »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: ↑Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:49 am just block me if you don't like what I write - otherwise push off.
Some of the stuff I've read about Bielsa, on Twitter rather than here, is very cult like tbh. Even seen some say he's not to blame if we go down. What?!!!

Yes he's done great things to get us up, but taking us back down won't make him a legend. Nor should he be worshipped if we finish 17th.
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7503
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Orange Box »

SG90 wrote: ↑Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:11 am Are fans really still surprised that Roberts is going to be brought on? When Hjelde came on, my heart sank and I knew Forshaw and Roberts would be the next two on.

We always hear that Summerville can't get a game because of Raph, but when Raph comes off he still doesn't get a chance. He could have had proper first team football for the rest of the season, but won't even play a minute now.
To be fair, Hjelde and Forshaw weren’t surprises because we had no alternatives, but Roberts? In the past I’ve tried really hard to defend him because I think he just might come through in the future, and he has a decent pass in him, but the cons in his playing drown out the pros. Joffy or Jimmy coming on instead? Sure why not, Joffy would get my nod but neither will get Bielsa's, and that’s unlikely to change, so where to from here?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23140
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by SG90 »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:21 am To be fair, Hjelde and Forshaw weren’t surprises because we had no alternatives, but Roberts? In the past I’ve tried really hard to defend him because I think he just might come through in the future, and he has a decent pass in him, but the cons in his playing drown out the pros. Joffy or Jimmy coming on instead? Sure why not, Joffy would get my nod but neither will get Bielsa's, and that’s unlikely to change, so where to from here?
If we'd started Forshaw in the first place, we wouldn't have had to waste a sub on him. It's obvious Klich isn't up to the level, but he is still persisted with.

I feel like Gelhardt is being punished because he's more popular with the fans than his love child Roberts.
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7503
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Orange Box »

SG90 wrote: ↑Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:24 am If we'd started Forshaw in the first place, we wouldn't have had to waste a sub on him. It's obvious Klich isn't up to the level, but he is still persisted with.

I feel like Gelhardt is being punished because he's more popular with the fans than his love child Roberts.
Not got a problem with either of those two comments :tup:
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3891
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:57 am

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

SG90 wrote: ↑Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:16 am Some of the stuff I've read about Bielsa, on Twitter rather than here, is very cult like tbh. Even seen some say he's not to blame if we go down. What?!!!

Yes he's done great things to get us up, but taking us back down won't make him a legend. Nor should he be worshipped if we finish 17th.
Well said - I have to agree SG90.

Maybe ' cult ' was a bit of a strong word for me to have used, however I was just trying to get over the idea that believing someone is infallible is not a very healthy mindset to adopt in any area of life. That's how groupthink tends to develop to give one example.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23140
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by SG90 »

Look at Southampton. They're playing good football, having a go and getting results against top 6 while giving young players regular first team football. We're polar opposites.

Even Norwich aren't as sentimental as us and got rid of Farke to try and progress.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23140
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by SG90 »

Another thrashing to scum, this time with fans present, and I think the tide will turn.
Overman
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3324
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 11:04 pm

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Overman »

SG90 wrote: ↑Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:32 am Look at Southampton. They're playing good football, having a go and getting results against top 6 while giving young players regular first team football. We're polar opposites.

Even Norwich aren't as sentimental as us and got rid of Farke to try and progress.
We have stagnated and to an extent gone backwards (literally). We didn't strengthen adequately over the summer and not recruiting in January was negligent. Perhaps we thought we could wing it again with the same aging Championship players. Clearly it hasn't worked this time around and the early signs were there pre-season. We have either been complacent or Radz just wants cash in and do one. We've spent so much time and resources getting here, it'd be a travesty for us to go down. I do feel the situation we're currently in could have been easily avoided with the right recruitment. I can't agree with the bollocks about bringing in 'better than we already have'. So we can't find players better than Klich, Llorente, Roberts, Forshaw, Ayling, Harrison, Koch, Rodrigo and Dallas across the footballing globe? I really can't fathom what Orta is actually doing to earn his corn at the moment.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23140
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by SG90 »

Overman wrote: ↑Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:57 am We have stagnated and to an extent gone backwards (literally). We didn't strengthen adequately over the summer and not recruiting in January was negligent. Perhaps we thought we could wing it again with the same aging Championship players. Clearly it hasn't worked this time around and the early signs were there pre-season. We have either been complacent or Radz just wants cash in and do one. We've spent so much time and resources getting here, it'd be a travesty for us to go down. I do feel the situation we're currently in could have been easily avoided with the right recruitment. I can't agree with the bollocks about bringing in 'better than we already have'. So we can't find players better than Klich, Llorente, Roberts, Forshaw, Ayling, Harrison, Koch, Rodrigo and Dallas across the footballing globe? I really can't fathom what Orta is actually doing to earn his corn at the moment.
We were sold lies by the board that we weren't signing players so the youngsters would get a chance. In Bielsa's 4 years only Jack Clarke has ever been picked on merit, rather than injuries. Bielsa has never cared for youth and never will. Who was the last academy graduate to break through? Shackleton and Clarke four years ago? Cresswell has only made one league appearance so can't include him.
Mountain
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 am

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Mountain »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: ↑Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:49 am just block me if you don't like what I write - otherwise push off.
I've considered your request and I'll decline... :)

It was an odd post, wasn't it? If it's any consolation, I'd be a bit embarrassed about it too if I wrote it too!
Nord VPN
Stream games in safety! Get NordVPN with up to 75% off + 3 months free
Get NordVPN →
Post Reply